Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Beat the salad blues.....and Isaac's 1st recipe creation




Whenever I start eating more raw, I go through a "salad blues". I start to eat so much of it as a default that I begin to not even be able to look at a salad leaf anymore. So when that happens, I start forgetting the lettuce part of the salad all together, and make some more interesting things. Usually chopped up veggies with some sort of dressing is enough. Something I make off and on that I made up one day was just to toss cherry tomatoes halved, large chunks of yellow/orange pepper and cucumber with some feta goat cheese, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It's so good, I pack it all the time for picnics.


Though I seem to be able to harldy ever eat protein and don't really miss it, the three boys in my house definitely do not feel the same way. And I do have to say, I can never give up seafood, it's just too yummy. So I found an interesting, and I mean interesting salad recipe that is guarenteed to make your family say "huh?" when you tell them what's in it. Despite that, I encourage you to give it a try. It was really easy, light, summery, and could never be called ordinary.


Also while we were eating this along with some local summer squash I had Rob throw on the grill as long as it was hot, Isaac made his own little creation. He was so cute about it, and it actually tasted really good! He grabbed a piece of grilled squash, and put one of the tomatoes with some cheese and basil on it on top. See the pic! It could be on the cover of Gourmet magazine next month - "Gourmet Appetizer invented by a 4 year old!" :p And yes, this recipe is kid friendly, they devoured the whole platter!


Shrimp, Watermelon & Goat Cheese Salad


"While this recipe may sound a little odd, once you try it, you'll love the combination of three of summer's favorite foods. Brush soe good hearthbread with olive oil and grill it briefly to serve alongside."


1 16 oz package frozen 31-40 Tail-on Raw Shrimp

Organic Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing

2 small ripe tomatoes, quartered (mine were a bit bigger, I cut them in 8 pieces)

2-3 cups ripe watermelon in large, bite-sized chunks, seeds removed

2-3 oz Organic Fresh Goat Cheese, crumbled

2-3 TBSP chopped fresh basil

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper


If using wood or bamboo skewers, put in water to soak. Preheat oiled grill to medium high. Brush shrimp with dressing, skewer and grill 2-3 minutes, basting and turning a few times. Remove cooked shrimp and set aside while you compose salad. On a large platter or individual plates, arrange tomatoes, watermelon, and goat cheese. Top with grilled shrimp, season with salt and pepper, and garnish with chopped basil. Serve with additionalvinaigrette.


My Note: I read a recent article where someone strongly felt like basil should never be cut with a knife, only ever torn by hand. They said it alters the flavor. I thought this was an easy enough thing to try, so I tried it in this recipe. I tore the Basil leaves, and my whole kitchen was filled with this wonderful smell of Basil that doesn't happen when I chop it. It was like some beautiful perfume! (Okay admittedly I am a dork, I love herbs) It felt really fun, and earthy to rip it up and put it over the salad. I just may keep doing it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy have I got a recipe for you. So yummy. So fresh and light.
Shrimp and Avocado Tacos
3 limes
1 c tomato, seeded, chopped
1/2 c chopped fresh cilantro
3/4 tsp sald
1/4 tsp pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
1 c diced avocado
1 lb shrimp (I have even used the ?salad? shrimp, 51-60? are ok too, dont want em too big)
Finely grate rind from limes for 1 Tbsp. Juice limes to measure 1/4 cup. place rind and juice in GLASS bowl. Add salt, peper, garlic, cilantro and tomatoes. Mix. Add shrimp. Toss to coat. Add avocado. Mix carefully to not mush avocado. Serve immediately with warm tortillas - 1/2 c filling in each.

snoflake22 said...

yum!!!! that sounds great!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I think it's possible that you are supposed to drain the juice from this before putting it on tortilla, but that I just forgot to copy that part when writing out the recipe card for myself. Can get a little soupy otherwise. Also, not good as leftovers.