Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Dinner in/Field Trip for Mommy

I realize I almost always post about the more interesting dinners we have here in the Colwill house. But what about a typical weeknight? I don't write about them often, but I thought I might tonight. We all have our list I'm sure of quick meals for the busy weeknights. My kids favorite is Whole Wheat Spaghetti with vegan Savory Mushroom meatballs (freezer section of Whole Foods) and my quick marinara sauce (saute some onions, mushrooms, peppers, add a jar of sauce and then sometimes add black olives, or stir in some fresh spinich) with some freshly grated parmesan - yum!

Last night we tried these Sprouted Corn tortillas (wheat free) and they were yummy. I used a veggie crumble (think garden burgers, but in a ground beef form) that was already seasoned with taco seasonings. I then shredded lettuce, grated some raw cheddar cheese, halved some cherry tomatoes for the kiddos, and got out some spicy peach salsa for mom and dad. It was yummy - but definitely for us the salsa made it. Otherwise it would have been bland.

Tonight I have leftover veggie crumbles so I'm making taco salad: romaine lettuce, corn, black olives, raw cheddar cheese, veggie crumbles, and whatever else I throw on there at the last minute. I'm serving it with Guiltless Gourmet baked Chili Lime chips, Evan's fresh raw salsa, and some guacamole. I can't wait until Rob gets here! :)

While we were in the midwest the Culinary School of the Rockies called twice, and offered for me to come in and observe a class. I called them back and I'm going in on the 18th to one of their classes that is apart of the Chef Track. It's focus will be on Fish and Seafood, and then finish the night off with a multi-course dinner and wine pairing (every night they do! can you imagine!!).
I get to listen to the lecture and participate as much as I want making the meal. I hope to get my hands in there as much as possible. I hope it's everything I hope it will be, and maybe I'll get to be a student there when little Analise makes her way to Kidnergarden!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your busy weekday dinner ideas! Have you ever tried adding vegetables(carrots, peas, spinach,broccoli), tofu and miso to Thai noodles in the package? Very quick and nutritious. My little boy loves the noodles and eats the veggies as they go down. I look forward to meeting you on the 18th!Dorian Rabin, Admissions
www.culinaryschoolrockies.com

snoflake22 said...

that is a great idea! I will try it. I'm looking forward to meeting you! :)

BeeARawFoodie said...

Keep us posted on how your Free Class goes on the 18th!! I'm so excited for you. Oh and I'm trying to figure out how to move to Denver area Colorado ASAP. More on that later....