Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Dinner this week


I'm not sure if I'll be able to post again before we leave. My sister-in-law arrives Friday, and my husband and I will be leaving Saturday to go to France for 6 days! I can't wait. We will be staying in Paris, and be taking one day trip to the Champagne region while we are there. We plan to do a mix of sightseeing and relaxing. I have been dreaming, and dreaming, and dreaming of the food! I can't wait to share all the yummy details with you all when I get back!

This week dinner has been very random so far, but the rest of the week looks to be more organzied. I am going to try out two recipes from the Epicurious' Dinner Rush, and see how they are. My only complaint about these menus, is that they are not on a budget like the Whole Foods weekly planners are, so you have to be careful. One meal I just bought two small lamb chops to try for the family, and I'll make an extra 2 vegetable dishes to go with the meal instead. Meat two nights in a row! Can you believe it. The boys have been asking for more protein though, so there it is. I tend to pile my plate with the veggies, and any vegetarian leftovers in the fridge. So this is what's on the menu for tonight and tomorrow night.

Green Bean and Roasted Tomato Salad
Gourmet April 1997


yield: Makes 2 Servings
Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.


5 plum tomatoes, each cut lengthwise into 4 slices
1/4 pound haricots verts (thin French green beans) or small green beans, trimmed
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
a heaping 1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced shallot
1 cup mixed baby salad greens

Preheat oven to 450° F. and lightly grease a baking sheet.
Arrange tomatoes in one layer on baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Roast tomatoes in middle of oven 15 minutes, or until edges are browned, and cool.
While tomatoes are roasting cook beans in salted boiling water 3 minutes, or until crisp-tender. In a colander drain beans and rinse under cold water until cool. Drain beans and pat dry.
In a bowl whisk together juices, zest, mustard, oil, shallot, and salt and pepper to taste.
Arrange tomatoes, overlapping them, on 2 plates and mound mixed baby salad greens and beans on top. Drizzle salads with vinaigrette. Serves 2 as a first course or side dish.



Light Mediterranean Salad with Lamb Chops
Parade April 2008

Chicken Gyros with Cucumber Salsa and Tsatsiki
Gourmet March 2009

Instead of serving the Gyros with the salad with Papaya Dressing that they recommend (I couldn't find a papaya at the store), I just bought a Orange and Cranberry salad dressing that looks yummy. Better for a quick weeknight dinner anyway, because you guys, I've got to PACK! :)

No comments: