Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Rhubarb Pecan Muffins

Hello! I know I've been MIA in 2010, but that's just the season I'm in right now. So busy with the kids, and other things. Also I've realized I actually cook more when I'm not trying to keep up with the blog and other things, so that puts me in a weird position. Blog about cooking, and cook less? Or blog less, and cook more? I've chosen the latter lately. We'll see what the rest of 2010 brings!

I went to the midwest to visit family, and my Auntie sent me home with a huge bag of Rhubarb, and a recipe for muffins. It worked great at altitude also, I just reduced the cooking time by about 5 minutes. Also I tried some variations with Whole Wheat Pastry Flour instead of white flour, and Splenda instead of sugar, and they all turned out great, so feel free to use any combinations of those things as well if you try this. They are so good, and make for a hearty snack or breakfast! These muffins have simple instructions and come together quickly. If you can get your hands on some rhubarb, enjoy!!

Rhubarb Pecan Muffins
Makes one dozen
Doubles and freezes well

2 cups flour (white, or whole wheat pastry, or one cup each)
3/4 cup sugar (or Splenda)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. grated orange peel
3/4 cup orange juice
2 eggs
1 1/4 chopped rhubarb
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Combine eggs, orange peel, and juice. Add dry ingredients all at once. Stir until moistened, then stir in pecans and rhubarb. Fill 12 lightly greased muffin cups 3/4 full. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes ( 20 to 25 at altitude).

3 comments:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Rhubarb season makes me so happy. And now I have another method of savoring the tart treat! Glad you enjoyed your trip to the midwest too! PS I felt REALLY bad when I heard about the Wrath of the Bird. I'm trying to deal with the guilt...

snoflake22 said...

Thanks dear! and no guilt!! just come see us soon! ;)

Melissa said...

It was so great to see you all!!

Looks like a good recipe. When I start getting serious rhubarb, I will certainly try these.

We totally understand about the whole blog thing :) Ron goes through his moments too.

Take care...