Monday, May 26, 2008

A Bolder Boulder




Well I did it. Never in my life did I think I would enter a race, much less finish it. But I did! The Bolder Boulder 10K - and it felt good too. I went there by myself, but in no way did I feel alone. There were about 52,000 very cool people there right along side me.


So since I have never done a race before, I don't have much to compare it to. I know that it's the 2nd largest 10K in the nation. I know that it is known for being a really fun race to run, but that was the extent of what I knew going into it. It was huge, but I didn't feel overwhelmed because it's so highly organized. I think I had a smile on my face almost the whole way.


There were bands playing on the side of the road all along the race. Some high school angst bands, some old retired dude bands, an elvis impersonator, and Blues Brothers band. There were people blowing bubbles, there were drum circles, belly dancers, and yes even people set up alcohol stands on their front yards. Though I didn't partake, it gave me a good laugh. One guy questioned if he would make it to the end of the race sober. :) My favorite was the college house with almost a full bar outside set up : "Yell out what kind of shot you want, and well run it out to you!!!" It just made me laugh.


Also people dressed up which I wasn't expecting, but was really fun to see. I saw bumblebees, disco guys, gorillas, tutus, and all kinds of wigs and hats. What blew me away was this group of maybe 10-12 high school age (?) girls who did leap frog the whole way!!! Yes, it's true. That has to set some sort of record!


So though I hate running (I do. Sorry runners, it's nothing against you. I think Rob quoted me not even 30 mintues before the race saying "Running is wrong.") I can at least say I've done this. And now I can go back to enjoying my walks, my bike, and my elliptical machine. :) I'll leave the running to those who are serious about it. At least until next year. Because now I'm hooked, and my oldest son wants to do it in 2009 with me. I wonder what we'll dress up as......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great job Kris - I'm so proud of you!