Friday, May 23, 2008

Grill! Grill! Grill!


A friend from MN was going to come visit for the weekend, but it looks like it's not going to work out. *sniff*sniff* To divert my mind from that sadness, I have decided that we should grill every day this holiday weekend. I grabbed three recipes I've had stuffed in my recipe pile the past couple of weeks, waiting for just such a weekend, and took the kids shopping this weekend. With a watermelon, plenty of drinks and snacks, and my mind set on finishing our garden, it should be a fun laid back weekend anyway.


You know it's a big deal because I EVEN BOUGHT MEAT. If you know me, you know I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I buy meat every year, or even eat it. My families response: huh. Not impressed. I guess they are not big meat eaters anymore anyway. Here are my recipes for this weekend, and I'd love to hear any of your favorite grill recipes as well if you're willing to share!


Moroccan-Style Chicken Breasts

I'm going to serve this with whole-wheat couscous and some mix of grilled veggies

Source: Colorado Daily

Start to finish: 20 minutes, plus 6 to 10 hours marinating

Servings: 4


1/3 cup plain nonfat yogurt

1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro

1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

1 tablespoon minced garlic

1 teaspoon sweet paprika

1 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspooon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts


In a small bowl, mix together the yogurt, cilantro, oil, garlic, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper.

Place the chicken in a shallow dish and spread with half the yogurt mixture; turn the chicken over and spread with the remaining yogurt mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 6 to 10 hours.


Preheat a gas grill to high or prepare a charcoal fire. Grill the chicken until it is cooked through and no longer pink at the center, about 5 minutes per side.


Nutrition info: 179 calories, 49 calories from fat; 5g fat (1 g sat, 0 g trans); 66 mg chol.; 3g carb.; 27g protein; 1 g fiber; 232 mg sodium


Coconut Lime Shrimp

Source: Colorado Daily

Servings:4


3 limes

2 pounds raw shrimp, peeled, tail on

14-ounce can full-fat cocnut milk

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1/3 cup unsweetened cocunut flakes


Use a fine grater or zester to remove and reserve the zest of 1 lime. Juice all the limes (about 1/8 cup juice).

Place the shrimp in a large, zipclose pastic bag. Add the cocnut milk and three quarters of the lime juice, then seal the bag and gently shake to coat the shrimp. Refrigerate 15 minutes.

Meanwhile in a food processor combine the lime zest, kosher salt and black pepper. Pulse until the zest, salt and peper are well blended. transfer to a small bowl and set aside.

In a small, dry skillet over medium -low heat, lightly toast the cocunut flakes. As soon as the coconut begins to brown, remove it from the heat. Set aside.

Generously coat a grill grate with cooking spray and preheat on medium-high. Alternatively, set a grill pan over medium-high heat and coat with cooking spray just before you are ready to cook.

Remove the shrimp from the marinade, discarding the marinade. Place the shrimp on the grill or grill pan and cook about 1 to 2 minutes per side, or until the exteriors are pink and the centers are opaque white.

While the shrimp are still on the grill, drizzle them with the remaining lime juice.

Transfer the shrimp to serving plates, then lightly sprinkle them with the salt-lime zest mixture, then with a bit of toasted coconut.


Chopped Portabella, Blue Cheese and Walnut Patties With Pear Mayonnaise

Source: Parade


for patties:

1 pound (about 4) cleaned, destemmed portabella mushroom caps, finely chopped and left to drain on paper towels

1/3 cup walnuts, finely chopped

7 TBSP seasoned breadcrumbs, or more for desired texture

2 TBSP finely chopped yellow onion

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 tsp black pepper

4 TBSP crumbled blue cheese


With your hands, mix the mushrooms, walnuts, breadcrumbs, onion, salt, pepper, and blue cheese until allt he ingredients are evenly distributed. Shape the mushroom mixture into four 1/2 inch patties.


Grill over medium-hot coals or pan grill over med-high heat for 3 to 4 minutes a side, or until heated through. To serve, place each burger on a roll or bun. Spoon on a little dollop of Pear Mayonnaise, then top with lettuce, sprouts, tomato, avocado, cucumber, and/or onion slices to your taste.


for Pear Mayonnaise:

1 ripe pear

1 TBSP olive oil

1 TBSP fresh lime juice

2 TBSP mayonnaise

black pepper


Peel and chop pear; saute in a small pan with oliv eoil and lime juice. Cook until soft and mushy, about 2-3 minutes. Puree and let cool. Stir in mayonnaise and black pepper, to teaste. Refrigerate.


Happy Grilling!

3 comments:

BeeARawFoodie said...

As that friend who is not able to go to Colorado I wish you blissful grilling. I am going through the five stages of grief over this weekend and have decided to do a 3 day fast. Your recipies look yummy. Have you always been a detailed chef or is this one of those superpowers you get from being an amazing wife and mum over the years? Bon Appetite!

Anonymous said...

You will be very missed! I wish I could do a three day fast - I haven't been able to do one that long since I've had kids - I just lack the energy to keep up with them, which isn't fair to them. And thank you by the way - it's just my place to direct creative energy, and I think it'd very therputic to cook for some reason. :)

Since I'm not into meat, I made the chicken for last night since I was going out with a friend. the chicken turned out great. it's not spicy, and the kids loved it. it went really well with the whole wheat couscous.
tonight it's the shrimp! I DO eat seafood! yeah!
Kristine

Anonymous said...

The chicken recipe sounds delicious. In fact,they all sound mouth-watering to me. Hope I get a chance to cook soon. I'm enjoying your blog. Love the pictures.