Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Raw Smoothie

Every once in a while I have someone ask me for me smoothie recipe. I don't have a recipe, but I tried to pay attention the other day when I was making one, and I think I sort of came up with one. Once you get into making smoothies, you realize that it's all about personal taste. It's like trying to put cream and sugar in someone elses coffee, you just don't know what they are going to favor. So this is what I like, but you should experiment and find your own perfect smoothie.

The thing about starting out with smoothies is to taste it along the way. Sometimes in the beginning, I've even thought it was right, and poured it in a glass, only to dump it back in the blender and add something else. I like mine the consistency of ice cream almost, so I like to use all frozen fruit. I've realized that all dates are not created equal, and that the type of honey I use will definitely change the taste. I've come to splurge for the good Medjool dates, and I found two local honeys that I absolutely love.

I got the idea for making my own quick nut milk from someone's previous comment on here, and the sea salt idea from the book Raw Food, Real World. It's a surprising ingredient, but it helps bring out all of the flavors.

Kristine's Raw Smoothie :)

Add to blender the following for the
Homemade Raw Cashew Milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 TBSP Raw Cashew Butter (or you can use any other raw nut butter, like almond)
- 1 to 1 1/2 Medjool Dates
- dash of sea salt

Blend until most of the date is broken up, then add

- 1 frozen banana, sliced
- 1 cup any frozen fruit (i love any mix of strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, blackberries, mango....),
- dash of vanilla
- dash of sea salt
- 1 TBSP Raw Honey (sometimes I use Agave Nectar)
- 1 tsp flax seeds (no need to grind first, the blender will do that for you)
- 1 tsp Hemp seeds

Blend again!

1 comment:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Here, you speak my language. Only I have to grind my seeds ahead of time as my blender is not heavy duty. I grind them first in my magic bullet then add the other ingredients like the dates, then the fruit. Never added cashew butter, vanilla or salt though, but I trust you. and yes, even if a person has a smoothie personality, people who get into smoothies, have different smoothie moods too! I'm wanting a baby spinach, bok choy, kale and apple smootie just now... Gosh I wish I lived near by!