Thursday, August 13, 2009

Zucchini Sweet Potato Bread

I've been receiving gifts of zucchini this past week, which has been SO wonderful. Even I can only eat so much of it raw, or grilled, sauteed....and so even though it's hot out, I broke down and made a couple of loaves of bread. I threw some in the freezer, and we've been eating the rest. I really like this recipe because it sneaks in 2 veggies, and anytime you can have your kids eating two servings of vegetables before breakfast is even over, is a good day, right? I would love any experienced Agave Nectar bakers to let me know if they think I could use that in this recipe instead of sugar. With no butter in the recipe, if I could also put Agave Nectar in place of the 2 cups (gulp) of sugar, I would be thrilled. Either way though, it's YUMMY. And you can use the excuse of it not having butter in it, to slather some on when you eat it hot out of the oven. :)

I put the kids to work, and had the boys do all of the vegetable grating. It made this super easy!
I also used half whole wheat flour, and did not make any altitude adjustments, and it turned out great. Don't skip the flour and butter in the pan, you'll need it to get this out in one piece.

Sweet Potato and Zucchini Bread
Bon Appétit November 1992
by Debbie Fleming: Townville, South Carolina
Makes 1 loaf

ingredients

2 cups all purpose flour (I used half Whole Wheat)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 1/2 cups grated peeled sweet potato
1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted

preparation

Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. Sift first 5 ingredients into medium bowl. Beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla to blend in large bowl. Mix in zucchini and sweet potato. Add dry ingredients and walnuts and stir well.

Transfer batter to prepared pan. Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Cool bread in pan on rack 15 minutes. Cut around bread to loosen. Turn out onto rack and cool completely. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Wrap in foil and let stand at room temperature.)

No comments: