Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cake Wrecks
















I got to go on a fun Field Trip last night :). I ventured into the city to see none other than Jen Yates of Cake Wrecks blog fame. If you haven't heard of this site yet, then you should definitely visit, and on the right hand side, click on anything under "Fan Faves" or "Classics". You are sure to be laughing so hard you're crying in a good five minutes. Jen got the idea for the blog after someone sent her a picture of a cake they ordered that was made wrong, and after a few hours of searching the web, and realising there were so many more out there, she started the blog that very same day. She posts every day, and it's a fun site to look up once in awhile when you want a laugh. Jen herself is hilarious, and it's not just the pictures, but the writing that makes the site so funny. Both her and her husband were at Tattered Cover last night, promoting a book they published full of the funniest cakes from the blog. They were hilarious, and showed slides of their favorites, signed books, and held a cake wrecks cupcake contest. I didn't even find out about the event until right before it happened, otherwise I would have totally entered! I hope you enjoy the pictures, and can maybe catch Jen when she's in your area, or her book at your local store. ( A local cupcake shop provided the cupcakes in the second picture. They were SO good I wish I could give her credit, but I can't remember the name :(

3 comments:

Melissa said...

Thats Awesome! I have never heard of her, I will have to check that out sometime. I love the different things people come up with when making cakes :) It can really be fun!

BeeARawFoodie said...

I am sooo happy for you! A doubly sweet treat - meet the folks behind the blog and all those sugary treats as funny eye candy. I don't remember specialty cakes being a big part of my life (except the ones that dad made for us) until the foodie channels went bonkers with cake shows. I remember getting a sheet cake for my HS graduation party with the little yellow and black "flowers" with green leaf on each little square. But I'd love to be part of a circle of fun peeps that meet like a wine club only challenge creative disasters to show off and munch on. I think of a "BYOC & BYOB: Theme Cakes and happy beverage of choice." Thanks for telling us about your brush with famous greatness!

Carly said...

Hahahahaha... I have been poring through the Cake Wrecks site for the past hour and am laughing so hard that tears are rolling down my face!