Saturday, September 5, 2009

Zucchini Casserole

I'm still going through all my zucchini recipes this fall, among other things. A friend left to go to Hawaii for the weekend, and gave her huge family size share of CSA goods. I've got onions, beets, radishes, lettuces, corn, potatoes, zucchini, pears, peaches.....and more! Last night I made some roasted potatoes and onions, with an Organic Chicken for the kiddos. I also made this Zucchini Casserole, which my kids inhaled, and declared tasted like lasagna. I think they are on to something, as once they said it, I thought it DID taste like lasagna. Only without the pasta and meat, it's like a healthy version. (I'm not saying "light" version though, you can't leave out that sharp cheddar folks, sorry.)

Zucchini Casserole
from The Not-Strictly Vegetarian Cookbook, by Lois Dribin and Susan Ivankovich

4 zucchini squash (or 1 ginormous one, like I used)
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese
1 lg can tomato paste (i used a small one, cause that's how we like it)
parsley
oregano
basil
salt and pepper
olive oil

Grate cheese. Wash & slice zucchini (I used my trusty mandoline). Oil a 2 qt casserole with lid. Layer casserole with: a layer of zucchini, sprinkle of salt and pepper, then a heavier sprinkle of parsley, oregano, and basil. Then add a layer of cheese and scatter a few dabs of tomato paste on the top. Sprinkle lightly with olive oil. Continue to layer until you reach the top. Cook, covered 1 1/2 to 2 hours at 350 degrees.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I'll have to remember this recipe. I froze a bunch of zucchini because we had so much this year. I'm not complaining though :)

BeeARawFoodie said...

We have zuchinni coming out of vines everywhich way around here. I'm printing off the recipie and making my presence known in this kitchen.
I'm also a fan of zuchinni quiches.
And, ahhhhh, daydream of a spiral slicer... someday.... there's always a someday....