Friday, October 9, 2009

Kale and White Bean Soup

I have cooked many a Kale and White Bean Stew in my day....ever since I discovered how yummy Kale can be, I should add. I haven't always been a fan. I think it happened about 4 years ago, when I started adding it to juice, and then started sauteing it. Now this soup is one of the few will eat it (not just drink it).

My favorite recipe to date has been one that I have for my crockpot, just because I love an easy recipe....one that cooks itself, you know? But this is definitely my new favorite. It is SO hearty. Even my boys, who easily eat "thirds" at dinner these days, are filled up by one bowl of this soup.

Something about the buttery shallots, and the Sherry Wine Vinegar that you stir in at the end, set this recipe apart from the others. I used curly Kale, and next time will use less, as the amount they say kind of takes over the soup in my opinion. Because of this I needed to double the broth, and it definitely needed the salt and pepper to finish it off. I highly recommend this soup on one of these beautiful crisp fall days! We served it with a warmed whole wheat baguette, and assorted cheeses.

Kale and White Bean Soup
Yield: makes 6 servings ( doubled this, and it fed us for 3 nights)

ingredients
1 1/2 pounds kale leaves, center ribs and stems removed
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup chopped peeled carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped shallots (about 4)
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
2 15-ounce cans white beans (preferably organic), drained
4 cups (or more) vegetable broth
3 fresh thyme sprigs
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon Sherry wine vinegar
2 tablespoons assorted chopped fresh herbs (such as tarragon, parsley, and chives)

preparation
Cook kale in large pot of boiling salted water 1 minute. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water to cool. Drain. Squeeze out excess water. Coarsely chop kale.
Heat olive oil in medium pot over medium heat. Add chopped carrots, celery, shallots, and garlic; cook until soft, stirring, about 15 minutes (do not brown vegetables). Add white wine and simmer until liquid is slightly reduced, about 7 minutes. Add white beans, 4 cups broth, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 20 minutes. Add kale and simmer 5 minutes longer. Remove thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Add more broth by 1/2 cupfuls to thin stew, if desired. Mix in Sherry wine vinegar and chopped fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: