Sunday, October 25, 2009

Sauteed Swiss Chard

I think it's hard to get little ones into dark leafy greens. Even most adults don't eat them a few times a week like they are supposed to. I think the big question is, how can you prepare them so they taste good? We get some through juicing, but I want my kids to actually KNOW that they are getting them, and not just stick them hidden in things. That's why I love recipes like the previous kale soup I posted, and this one I made tonight. It's from the wonderful Edible Front Range magazine. I highly encourage you to check out Edible Communities and see if there is one for your area. It's packed full of news about farmers, chefs, and how people in your community are eating more local and seasonal, and local events. And of course, there are wonderful recipes, like this one that got 2 thumbs up from all three of my kiddos.

Sauteed Swiss Chard
by Sue Hollingshead

1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
4 to 5 cloves garlic, minced
2 bunches Swiss Chard, rinsed, tough stems removed, thinly sliced
1 cup raisins, softened in water about one hour, then drained
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted (if cost makes getting these difficult, substitute toasted sunflower seeds)
balsamic vinegar
sea salt

Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic, stirring, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add Swiss Chard and cook, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes or until tender to your liking.

Stir in raisins and pine nuts. Season with balsamic vinegar and sea salt.
Makes about 4 servings.

No comments: