Thursday, January 15, 2009

Birthday Cake #2 and other randomness

The last couple of weeks have been a blur! We have our last Birthday party for my oldest son on Saturday, and I have GOT to get the frosting made tomorrow. It's going to be a Batman cake, blue and black (and have you all dyed frosting black? takes forever......)

Yesterday we got out of our Highlands Ranch rut, and explored the Denver Art Museum. Yes, that's right I brought a 3 year old, and 5 year old to an Art Museum. umhmm......and it was fun! really! The Denver Art Museum is the most kid-friendly art museum I have ever been to. I got tickets on Mile High Mamas for their first "Create Playdate" that they are doing the second Wednesday of every month the next 3 months, and it was really fun. I really felt like we got out of the house and did something different, and I wasn't beat-my-head-against-the-wall bored like I have been lately at parks and children's museums. (It must just be because I've been at this for 7 years now, I have had to get creative lately) I got to actually talk to other mamas, the kids got exposed to real art, and made art....it was great. They have backpacks kids can check out with different themes, and they open different parts of the backpacks in different places in the museum. They had places for kids to blow off steam, or make their own art, in almost every area of the museum. Also the Denver Art Museum has this totally healthy place to eat right outside the front door called Mad Greens. If you haven't been there, you should try it. Even the kids meals are healthy. They get to pick three toppings for a salad, and have Pita on the side. yum!

Also I wanted to share with you, I came across this hilarious website called Cake Wrecks. It's
professional cakes that have gone really, really wrong. It has made me laugh SO hard. If you ever have 5 minutes, sit and scroll through on the right-hand side where it says "Fan Favorites".....SO funny. My favorite is not just the sexual harrassment cake, but her hilarious write up about it made me laugh until my sides hurt. whew!

Last weekend I made a Speed Racer cake for Isaac's birthday. Feeling overconfident (for no reason, as this one had no recipe or instructions, and I was just trying to remember a picture we SAW of a cake!) I made it THAT afternoon of the party, barely getting it done, forgetting to cut the cake flat, running out of blue frosting, and then having a HECK of a time getting the new blue frosting to dye the same color, as the clock is ticking. At the last minute, remembering Isaac ooo'd and aahh'd over Analise's 3 pink towers on the top of her cake, I made Isaac three blue towers on the top of his cake. Only to remember after I washed everything and put it away, THAT my son is turning 5. Yes. SO then I had to just stick two more candles in the cake, and the number "5" candle that he wanted. ei yi yi. Good thing Isaac is so gracious. I was disappointed, but also had a good laugh. Not Cake Wreck worthy, but something to remember!

And yes, he wanted those golden dragees on the yellow balls of the cake. And come on, don't insinuate they look like THAT. sheesh, he's 5 people!

I had to include this picture.....blowing out his candles? or just amazed at how the cake turned out? ;)

umhmmm....don't say it, the yellow things do not look like breasts. pleeeaassee.


after seeing how the others turned out, I did not put them on the bottom. This below by the way, is the ONLY picture of this cake I'm not embarrassed of. I could have just posted this pic! But I want you to know that I have disasters too!





How I just should have left the cake, but didn't. (Also, it's actually hard to make the top a different color than the sides! Who knew?)


and finally, proof that it at least tasted good. :) I love you Isaac! Happy Birthday!


2 comments:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Happy Birthdays all around at the Family Foodie household. I think the multi-color frosting cakes are tricky! Impressive! And yes ttrying to make black frosting is an art. And depending on the drops of color you use, they turn your lips and teeth a seriously wacked out purple bruise black color when you eat it. But your son is clearly a super hero and can handle it! Remember to brush alot afterwards kids!
Cake Wrecks is a nice mental health break on stressed out days. People have a lot of emotional investment in cakes. So going into cakes professionally, ey iy iy! I can alter gowns, but don't give me anything for a wedding. I stay as far away from all that as I can. Women put way too much emotional investment into those gowns they only wear for a few hours. I feel the same way about cakes. Gonna have to find the sexual harassment cake you mentioned... things that make you go hmmmmm.

All My Monkeys said...

So happy you are having cake fun, despite the... um... challenges. And I wasn't thinking breasts, I was more looking at the poo mounds that held the candles. (Please laugh at that. I hope you're laughing.) I say that laughing my *** off after reading about 15 CakeWreak blogs. SO. FREAKIN. FUNNY. I am literally peeing my pants. Gotta go... to the bathroom. :D