Friday, March 20, 2009

No Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies

I needed to bring something in to my son's school, for the teachers to munch on during conferences. I would normally make something more adult-like, (once I made Mocha Cupcakes) but I was babysitting this Tuesday, and it was BEAUTIFUL 70 degrees outside, and I didn't have the heart to turn the oven on! So I came across this recipe, and it was great fun with the kids. If your child has a peanut allergy, feel free to substitute a almond, cashew or other nut butter. I used organic ingredients for pretty much everything, except the vanilla, and used Ghiradelli cocoa.

No-Bake Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies
Yields about 30 cookies
recipe by Kathie Lee Joel for www.delish.com

2 c. sugar
8T (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/3 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. milk
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1/2 c. peanut butter, creamy or crunchy
2 1/2 to 3 c. rolled oats

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, butter, cocoa, milk, and vanilla. Bring to a slow boil, and simmer until the sugar has dissolved. (Give it a taste to make sure). Stir in the peanut butter. Remove from heat. Stir in 2 1/2 c oats. The mixture should be thick. Add the remaining 1/2 c oats is necessary.

2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Drop the mixture by the heaping tablespoons onto the parchment. Allow the cookies to firm up at room temperature, about one hour. (My note: it took mine about 2 hours)

Enjoy! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi-
Looks like a wonderful recipe to try! Especially with the warmer temps starting and not wanting to run the oven as often. We like to take treats and snacks to the library for story/craft time :) So always looking for new ideas. Thanks...Melissa

BeeARawFoodie said...

You are good to your school's teachers. Astounding they still let you bring in homemmade items. So many schools kaboshed that long ago and required everything to be process and prepakaged.
Meanwhile hooray for no bake cookies!

All My Monkeys said...

I LOVE these. But a note to Melissa: they are rather crumbly, so not a good snack for IN the library, but maybe outside, where crumbliness won't matter.

Occasionally I also like to add raisins, and I have seen recipes with coconut or peanuts also.

snoflake22 said...

All My Monkeys....did you use this recipe, or a different one? Because when I made this, they weren't crumbly at all. They were as firm as say...a candy bar. no crumbs. I would say they would be fine in a library!

All My Monkeys said...

My recipes vary. My tips from experience... don't use too much oats, and make sure you scoop them out right away. I think the more butter/less oats ratio helps keep them less crumbly. I'll have to try your recipe out.