Saturday, July 4, 2009

Summer BBQ menu








This summer has been so busy! I haven't had much time to post on here. Also, as a result, I've been making good ol' standby recipes, and not as many new things. We have some friends coming through town from Minnesota on Sunday though, and they eat a variety of different ways. We have meat eaters, vegetarians, and vegans in the group, and so I need to have a varied menu. When I came across some recipes for a summer BBQ in a free magazine at the natural food store, I new that I had the makings for a great menu. I'm adding a drink, dessert, and some salad with edible flowers from our garden to round out the menu. For the dessert I'm thinking vegan cookies, and another blueberry pie.
(I used Whole Wheat bread for croutons)

I split the recipes in half, and tried them out two seperate nights on my family this week. This helped me see what things I could do ahead for when we serve it to company. Some things I'm doing ahead today are: making the croutons, making the frittata (can be served at room temp), making the polenta, marinading the steak, and clipping the herbs that I need from the garden so they are ready in the fridge. I will also make whatever desserts I decide on today. If I run out of time for desserts, I will buy vegan already made cookies, and then serve fresh berries with homemade whipped cream.
When we made these ahead, my personal favorite was the Grilled Ratatoulle served over the Grilled Polenta. I think it is really hard to find a vegan grill recipe that is so hearty that you truly forget you aren't eating meat - and this one fits the bill. We all ate one serving and were full the rest of the night!
Happy 4th!

No comments: