Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Beginning again

I have been working more and more on what I eat and drink when I am not at home - which is the hardest part for me of trying to eat healthy. I have moods where because I am the cook 24/7 at home, I am so grateful for anything put in front of me that I didn't have to eat or cook, to just wanting to try new interesting things. Depending on if I'm by myself, or who I am in the company of, where we end up can differ.

Yesterday I had a great Raw Food day. I had a smoothie for breakfast, fruit, a Lara Bar, salad, and a Synergy Kombucha drink. I had an Ice Cream Social at night and was dreading the Ice Cream part of the Social. I was worried I would show up hungry, and I was feeling the glow and didn't want to lose it. (If you've ever eaten raw for awhile, you get this glow, this vibe, that feels amazing - puts coffee to shame. It's consistent, and you feel excited and like you can't stop beaming. For me, much like when I was about 4-5 months pregnant:)

SO I had some extra time before the get together, and I got a shto of Wheat Grass and a small carrot juice at Jamba Juice, and had fun wondering the local Book Store. I got two ideas for Raw Chilled Soups (which I was encouraged to give another try from my friend Sarah). See recipes below.

Then on the way to the get together, I stopped at Whole Foods and picked up some Dairy Free ice cream that sounded great - Coconut Water, Agave Nectar, shredded coconut, and one other ingredient I can't remember. It was good - light, not a stron flavor. Even better with some chocolate sauce on it. :) I was nervous about being the dork, and showing up with my dairy free ice cream, as I am just getting to know this group of about 20 woman. But because of how casual it was, and the hostess served everyone from the kitchen, I don't think anyone noticed. ALSO I ended up making another mom SO happy who had just found out that she had to cut dairy out of her diet for her new baby she is nursing. It was making the baby sick. She was thrilled she got to have a bowl of ice cream, so instead of feeling like a dork, I felt like a superhero. God is good. :)

So here are the recipes, and the reason I was so excited about these, is because i have all of these ingredients in my fridge right now (except the yogurt). It's what was in season at the Farmer's Market. so cool!

Radish and Yogurt Soup
from The Dinner Journal Issue #8

2 large bunches of radishes
1 16 oz tub plain yourt (I'm going to use Raw Goat's Yogurt)
1 small bunch mint, pinched

Clean radishes and grate (in a good processor, or mandoline where your fingers aren't in danger! these things are tiny). Place in a Pot/Bowl and season with salt. Let sit until it starts to wilt. Add Yogurt. Thin with water until desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Serve well chilled with mint.

Avocado and Cucumber Soup
from The Dinner Journal Issue #8

4 large cucumbers
1 avocado
water
ground corainder
cilantro

Peel cukes and remove seeds. Cut into 1 " pieces. Place cucumbers, avocado, corainder in a food processor or blender and puree. Add water as needed. When you like the consistency add the cilantro and puree. Season and serve well chilled.

No comments: