Monday, July 7, 2008

One of my own?

I haven't been able to post as often as I like. One thing that is frustrating me about Blogger is that it randomly likes to sign me out and then tell me I don't know my password. I DO know my password and I keep having to go through this whole thing to reset it. argh. Anyway, "Hi" and hope you all have had many wonderful foodie experiences in my absence. :)

So, my question today is....how do you define a recipe as one's own? If I take a two recipes, and take a bit from each, and then change an ingredient, and add another, is it then mine? I'm not sure. Depending on your definition, this may or may not be an original Kristine recipe. tada!

Raspberry Almond Muffins or
Waiting for Houseguests Muffins

Note: Your house will smell like an amazing Europeon bakery-type place while these are cooking, and that is a very, very good thing. Have coffee and organic butter ready and waiting....

1 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt

1 egg
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup Agave Nectar* (you could substitute honey or sugar)
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons Almond Extract

1 cup fresh drained raspberries (or sub. frozen or canned)

In a bowl mix the dry ingredients. Set aside. In a smaller bowl lightly beat the egg with the milk, oil, Agave Nectar (or honey or sugar), and almond extract, and then add to the dry ingredients all at once. Stir just until the batter is mixed. Fold berries into the batter. Spoon the batter into the muffin tin. Bake for 20 to 25** minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.

*a sugar substitute that is made from an Agave plant. totally healthy.
** If you live in High Altitude like I do, I recommend putting a piece of foil over the muffins for about the last 6 minutes to avoid excessive browning. This is my new trick to avoid altering all my recipes. It has worked great!

3 comments:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Its so nice to have friends who know about Agave Nectar! Its like being part of an in-the-know-secret society. Today visiting Melissa at her yarn store she added some to her tea. Yum! A toast to Agave Nectar in the honey squeeze bottle.

BeeARawFoodie said...

Have you heard about the great Running Mate Wife Cookie Scandal? Some mag asked the two to submi their fave cookie recipie. Sure. Okay. And the (gasp!) great cookie caper has revealed that John's wife's recipie is alarmingly similar to the toll house (?) recipie. Is it "her" recipie if she adds more butterscotch chips? Ghastly scandal. If only we talked about REAL domestic issues instead. I agree, the domain of recipie ownership is a tricky one. What about online recipies vs book published recipies? What about omitting an ingredient? What about substitutions? How does copyright apply to food? Questions posed by the universe continues to mesmerize. Just keep on cookin'!

snoflake22 said...

yeah! I love Agave Nectar. And Stevia too. It's fun to see it more available too - I saw it in our local bookstores coffee shop the other day.