Friday, August 8, 2008

Art Encounters

When we were waiting at one of the local Rec Centers on Tuesday for Elijah's Pottery class to start, we got bored and were looking through the tables of flyers they have sitting out there. The kids got really attached to this big oversized postcard-type thing that was telling about local sculptures in the area that are out to be viewed over the next year. It was a pretty cute card, with each sculpture listed with a picture, and they are divided into 4 cities.

The next morning we woke up and were running an errand, and all three of the kids postcards were still in the van. "Would you like to see one of the sculptures on that card?" I asked them. Jaws dropped. "YES!!!" they replied, and I made a quick stop. We got out of the car, touched it, talked about it, guessed what it was made out of, etc. It was just 15 minutes, but I kept thinking about it the rest of the day.

Well today is Friday and we just saw our fifth sculpture on the card, and have decided we're going to try to make it to all of them. It has been fun, the kids have been calling it our "sculpture walk" or "sculpture mission" when we got lost from a construction detour the other day and had to turn around and come home to look it up on the computer.

It has been so cute to hear their answers about which ones are their favorites, and what they think they are made out of. We also have talked about why people make art, and that it's not just something for craft time, but something people do for their "daddy and mommy work, like Uncle Titus". We talked about what all the different types of art there are. It has turned a regular week into something exceptional, and I think I'm going to tuck those cards away when we are done in their memory boxes or something.

It's called The Douglas County Art Encounters. So far we've made it to all of them in Highlands Ranch, and in Castle Rock. My favorite so far was Enchantment by Donna Romberger which is a little girl holding two birds in her hands, and Fires Dance the Shadows by Joshua Wiener which was made out of a beautiful white stone. I haven't had my camera with for any, but if you click on the website, and then click on one of the towns, you can then see beautiful color pictures of each sculpture.

I just love sharing the arts with my kids. It's one of my favorite things to do as a parent actually. Cooking and Art. Or in my house, cooking can be art. :) It's all about being creative, right?

2 comments:

Donna Romberger said...

Hello,
I just wanted to say thank you for your kind appreciation for my work.
I am thrilled that you like "Enchantment" and would take the time to write about it.

Sincerely,
Donna Romberger

snoflake22 said...

You are so welcome! You are so talented, and we enjoy seeing it when we drive by that area often.
All the best~