Wednesday, August 6, 2008

You say Tomato, I say Tomahto.....


I've been hearing from so many people lately that their tomatoes are starting to come in full force. Oh, I am jealous! You know I have the black thumb of death, and all that lived through my summer experiment was a basil plant that is now bigger than my head, and two ever-bearing strawberry bushes that won't bear strawberries. Alas, I will still enjoy this season and I'm itching to get the Farmer's Market this Sunday and see what's there.

I didn't always like tomatoes. My mom swears I loved cherry tomatoes until one day at day care I just didn't want the 3 that were left on my plate that day from lunch. I don't remember liking them before, but I do remember sitting at that table as they wouldn't let me leave until I ate them. I can't remember if they were bad, or I was just full (this is pre-K so I was pretty young) I just remember not wanting to eat them. I sat. and sat. and sat. and sat. for sooooo long. finally I gave in and ate them and was disgusted. From then on I wouldn't touch tomatoes unless they were in spaghetti sauce or ketchup form.


When I got married and moved to CA I started warming up to tomatoes again. A new world opened up to me, and I tried dishes they didn't serve at any of the restaurants in my home town. Recently my friend Sarah introduced me to Hierloom tomatoes, which with the right pinch of salt, I admit even I will eat solo!


My favorite tomato season recipes are simple. If you have a good tomato, you don't need to fuss over it. I just made the kids this Cappelini Pomodoro for lunch with some tomatoes my brother and sister in law sent home with us from our camping weekend. yum! AND since my basil plant is actually alive, the kids got to pick the basil leaves from our "garden". sweet!


capellini pomodoro

Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients:
· 3 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 pounds fresh peeled and diced tomatoes (OR 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) good quality diced tomatoes, or about)
· 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
· 2 cups fresh chopped basil leaves
· 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
· 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
· 12 ounces dry capellini pasta, cooked (or use any other kind)

Preparation:
Heat olive oil and add garlic; cook until garlic is tender. Add tomatoes and pepper and heat through, stirring constantly, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Transfer hot, cooked pasta to large bowl. Toss pasta gently with tomato mixture, the fresh chopped basil, and half of the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and pass remaining Parmesan.Serves 4.




2 pounds vine-ripened tomatoes (about 4 large), sliced 1/4 inch thick

1 pound fresh mozzarella, sliced1/4 inch thick

1/4 cup packed fresh basil (or arugula leaves), washed well and spun dry

(1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled, if using arugula instead of basil)

3 to 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

fine sea salt to taste

freshly ground black pepper to taste

On a large platter arrange tomato and mozzarella slices and basil leaves, alternating and overlapping them. Sprinkle salad with oregano and arugula and drizzle with oil. Season salad with salt and pepper.



Servings: Makes 50 pieces (for 10 guests).


8 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and diced

2 tbsp finely minced garlic

1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil

1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley

1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil

1 tsp finely minced fresh tarragon

1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

2 baguettes, cut in 1/2-inch-thick slices

6 cloves garlic, cut in half


In a bowl, mix all ingredients except bread and garlic cloves. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside, unrefrigerated, 3 hours. Heat oven to 350°F. Toast bread on a baking sheet. Rub cut side of garlic on each slice; top with tomato mixture.







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Also, a favorite of mine (I'm a die hard tomatoe eater) is



Tomatoe Pie:



Brown a pie shell for a few minutes to crisp up first. Add thick cut tomatoes to bottom of pie shell, top with torn basil, sauteed chopped onion and garlic, salt and pepper, then a layer of mozz cheese and parm. Bake 20 min at 350 but watch not to over brown pie edges (add foil around if needed). Some people top with a mayo layer, but I think it's unnecessary and makes it too greasy. Also fresh chives are good to add.



Awesome as a summer side!

- JamesMom