Monday, September 22, 2008

Day 3

So I'm on my third day of this journal. They wanted two days to be weekend days, and two days to be week days. It has made me realize a few things about how we eat.

First of all, there is no normal. I tried to pick 4 days for them when we were not traveling, and didn't have company, because in our house that's as normal as it gets. It made me realize though that every day has it's challenges, and also brought to the surface the struggle I have had with eating local, and in-season, and eating raw and vegan. I know that it is easier in places that are warm year round, but even that does not always make it easy. I go to the Farmer's Market on Sundays, and try to buy what I think we will need for the week. The end of the week I'm trying to use things up, or things need to be frozen or cooked. I think this is going to get really challenging (to eat local and in season AND eat raw) during the winter. I also realized that with my husbad home over the weekend I do tend to make more cooked food, and we go out more. I went out for brunch with a friend for example. I made hubby an egg bake with some of the roasted Green Chilis I mentioned in a previous post. I realized that I do tend to eat vegan and a raw until dinner on the weekdays, and it's not a big problem. (Except for the occasional seafood, or goat cheese on a dinner during the week). The weekends are different. We are more likely to go on a road trip, which sometimes unexpectantly can put us in the situation of eating out, or we are more likely to be at, or hosting, a social function. Lastly, I am more likely to tackle some 4 hour long recipe that I've been eyeing because Rob is around to help with the kiddos. Just something I noticed. It made me wonder if I focus on the weekends, and doing better there, what kind of breakthrough I might have. How much even better than I do now would I feel? How much healthier, and energetic, and vibrant would I be, if I conquered the weekends?

At the same time, food for me is more then vitamins, filling an empty stomach, or taste. Food is fellowship with friends. There is a reason we "commune" together, and "break bread" together. It is a bonding, rewarding experience to dine with friends. It also is something creative to me. I've realized that since I don't have all the tools, and appliances (a fancy dehydrator that let's you heat below 118, food processor) when I feel like doing something creative in the kitchen, I turn to my cookbooks. I also have not (because I lack those two appliances) jumped into the world of raw desserts yet, and I think when I do that will help with these creative surges.

Someone from the Culinary School of the Rockies called today, and we talked for quite awhile about all the programs they have there. This has been something I have been toying with the idea of - going to culinary school when the kids are all in school. I am impressed with their programs, especially the CO Farm to Table program they have, and would love to go there. Actually I would love to take both of their tracks: the 6 month Colorado Farm to Table program, where your last month you spend a month on the road in CO visiting farms and local artisians, and the second track where you learn French Cooking, and spend the last month in France working with real chefs in their restuarants. *sigh* I can dream, right? I think the Farm to Table one would be more practical, and useful here. However, the French Cooking one would be such a life adventure.

This is another thing I have been mulling over....do I need to go through a traditional culinary school to be a raw chef? Do I want to be a raw chef? It seems like if I did, I would have to go through the traditional ropes to get my foot in the door with any restaurant. I don't know the answer but at least I have 2 1/2 more years to figure it out.

2 comments:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Ahhh its so nice to know that Normal is only a setting on your dryer.

But the average American family does not eat 5 frits/veg in a week. Your attention to eating mindfully blesses your family exponentially. I hope you see that you are NOT anywhere close to Average. And I never want you to be Normal! (Big Becky Cheesy Smile)

As for the culinary program.
No brainer.
DO THIS.
When can you start?
What a collossally awesomely brilliant food to table program to be a part of! Its like winning the Showcase Showdown. You either win with the skills you already have and the organic, vegan, local meals you create or you win the Showcase of Community of Education, Challenge, Skillsets and being able to sojourn to farms in the area making a difference. Take the risk!
If you need a list of reasons WHY to do this NOW, just ask. I'll provide. You need to do this. You have wanted this, thought about this, and now you CAN.

BeeARawFoodie said...

As for raw chef school?
Nope.
You are actually waaaay past that.
No matter what you learn in culinary school you can pass on to others. Even if you have to work with meat -- you can then teach your kids about cuts of meat and where meat comes from.
Its like going to school for anything. Say for instance, dance school. You love dance. You want to learn more. You know you prefer swing dance. You apply to julliard because you are told that's where you want to go if you are ever to be respected in your field. You also apply to the local tech college for business thinking you'd really like to keep dancing but be able to have your own studio and teach others how to swing dance.
In the end, you will learn volumes from either institution. One may be more focused, but it may not best suit what you love to do and have a passion for.
You are already LIVING organic, local and vegan.
You don't need a school to teach you that. That school won't teach you anything new that you can't learn on your own.
BUT culinary school, over all, will teach you skills that cross apply to every aspect of your life, family and kitchen.

I say skip the raw certification.
Take the Colorado Culinary Institute up on their offer!
And, shucks, if you do want to travel and take a raw food course, you can always visit Halleluja Acres for a weekend! (You can take that as honest or as sarcasm, based on aforeshared phone chats!)

BE BOLD!