Sunday, September 14, 2008

Fall Harvest





I came home from the Farmer's Market today almost giddy, with bags overflowing. I just love the Fall and all of the vegetables and fruit that are overflowing from the tables there.





One thing I hadn't realized was how big of a deal Green Chilis are in Colorado. When I popped into Whole Foods this AM they had big displays of them, both fresh and roasted, and were handing out DVD's of demonstrations on how to cook them, and recipes. At the Farmer's Market they had someone there with a big contraption that looked like the big mesh things they roll balls around in for Bingo and he was throwing fresh green chilis into it and roasted them over a fire, and then selling them right there. I bought a bag labeling "Pueblo - Hot ! " and a fresh jar of Vegetarian (no pork added) Green Chili Sauce and Rob was thrilled when I came home. So we'll see what we end up doing with those this week.





I also came home with a bag of peaches to make a peach pie for my mom and stepdad's birthdays, which they requested, as they will be here Wednesday to see us for a couple of days.


I also got plums, apples, eggplant, red peppers, squash, green beens, wax beans, sweet potatoes, red and white potatoes, and some sort of Transylvanian (i'm serious) pastry that these two cute old ladies were selling and I couldn't resist. (See picture at right)

This week I am planning to make something we made last fall that was delicious, though time consuming to do all the roasted (tip: teach one of your children how to brush vegetables with olive oil, and you are set). It's an Eggplant, Zucchini, Red Pepper, and Parmesan Torte. yum!!

I hope you are all enjoying the beautiful temperate Fall weather. As you can see my kids were delighted to use our wood fireplace for the first time this year. :) Happy Harvest!

1 comment:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Bountiful! Beautiful! And I have yet to understand the green chile phenomenon myself, but admire your bravery. Besure to post pics of your peach pies and the Birthday fun! We had a cold, dark, rainy weekend. Glad you all had a fireplace to keep you warm! My blog post doesn't show all the people that nite -- 6 at my table and like 15 at the big dining room table. There is power to be found when a group gathers around healthy food -- just wait and see what great things come of your harvest and full tables of people! Its thanksgiving every day at the Farmer's Market!