Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I finished!




I finished my 4 day journal! I was going to post it on here, but then I thought maybe I shouldn't? Maybe they wouldn't want me to? I'll wait and see if they use it or not. But I will post links to some of the recipes I used during those 4 days for dinners, since those are all over the web and no secret. From my previous post you know I've got Roasted Green Chilis coming out of my ears, so I did find an egg bake to use up some of those. We also grilled some Portobello Mushrooms, and made a Vegetarain Chili. One appetizer I made is from one of my previous posts.

Some things I noticed about myself is:

- I tend to take note of how I am feeling that day to decide what/how much I eat. I do work out 1-3 days a week, and those days I tend to be hungrier. If I know I am stationary a lot that day, or that I'm just craving something, I am able to let it pass and make good choices. I feel like that is something I am good at.

- If I am making cooked food for the rest of the family, I'm going to want to eat some. Some recipes are a lot of work, and well, they look good! So I'm not usually able to avoid sampling. However, if it is something from somewhere else - take out, pizza etc, that I didn't cook, I have no problem not eating it.

- Mornings and afternoons are when I crave something hydrating: fresh juice from my juicer, raw smoothie, or Kombucha Tea. If I'm away from these things and somewhere I can't get anything close I tend to get sparkling water, or black unsweetened ice tea.

- Almost all of our produce is from the local farmer's market right now (I know that will change in winter), and organic as much as I can get it. Except for the smoothie, which I used fruit that I froze myself, nothing I made was from frozen or canned.

Overall, this was really interesting for me. All three of my kids AND my husband were sick, so I was up a lot at night taking temperatures, giving medicine. I know that lack of sleep always makes me hungrier. Anyway, those are the conditions. :) It is what it is.

So here are some recipes, except the Vegetarian Chili recipe is a friend's recipe, so I'm not going to post that....enjoy!

Grilled Portobello Mushroom and Veggie Fajitas
I used this recipe for a quick marinade for some Portobellos, Onions, and Peppers I wanted to put on the grill. The family ate fajitas, I enjoyed mine over a salad. I didn't even need dressing, because the juices from the veggies were so yummy! I just topped with avocado and fresh salsa.
http://www.veganchef.com/grillport.htm

Goat Cheese Toasts with Spicy Olives
http://www.denverpost.com/food/ci_9457994

Spicy Baked Eggs with Green Chilis
http://www.hennesseyhouse.com/rec_chilies.htm (if some measurements won't come up in your browser, they are "1/2")
recipe is from a B&B in CA, I have made their Blueberry Stuffed French Toast, and Eggs Florentine before for company and different brunches and always get recipe requests.
(and the Eggs Florentine is super easy if you are short on time, no sauteing, and not much prep work at all, it's my recipe I turn to if I need one quick, http://www.hennesseyhouse.com/breakfast.htm#recipes and scroll down for other recipes)

I hope you all are having a wonderful, healthy week! I'll let you know if anything comes of the journal!

1 comment:

BeeARawFoodie said...

Look at your encyclopedia of self reflection aha moments! Some people I know would not have that much self reflection in a year. You learn most when you learn for yourself, but you learn best when you learn about your self. I am proud of you. And I love the pic of everyone at the dinner table! You continue to be an inspiration, even in the midst of everydaynormalchaos and everyone being sick. I can now say "When I grow up I want to be cooking and eating like you!" Let go of the outcome -- just marvel at what you accomplished in four days of focus!