Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Elijah's taking over the kitchen!

My oldest son Elijah, who is 7 years old, decided at the library last weekend that he wanted to check out 6 cookbooks. So he brought them home, and was pouring over them asking me if he could make a million things.

"Why don't you make dinner tomorrow night?" I offered.

"But I want to make more than one dinner Mom. Can I make more than one? Like the whole week?"

"Um. Hm. Um. Are you sure? Well, okay...."

So we got out my calendar of meals for the month, and I let him chose one for every night (only rule, had to be a main dish) Monday through Thursday. (Friday is our ten year wedding anniversary!) It has been a REALLY fun experience. He wants to be in charge of as much as possible, and I think it's a learning experience for me too. I'm realizing he can do a lot more than I thought, though I'm still weary of giving him a knife yet. Here's what's on the menu for this week. When he gets home today, we will start the Tortilla Soup! We are definitely eating more meat this week than normal, but I wanted to give him free reign to choose. So fun!

Monday
Book: Look and Cook: A Cookbook for Children by Tina Davis
Meal: He-Man Hamburgers

Tuesday
Book: Honest Pretzels and 64 Other Amazing Recipes for Cooks Ages 8 and Up by Mollie Katzen (recognize that name? From the author of the Moosewood cookbooks)
Meal: Not-From-a-Box Macaroni and Cheese

Wednesday
Book: Fun Food: 25 Delicious Recipes that Kids Can Cook by Williams Sonoma
Meal: Chicken Tortilla Soup

Thursday
Book: Honest Pretzels and 64 Other Amazing Recipes for Cooks Ages 8 and Up by Mollie Katzen
Meal: Lasagna

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Way to go Elijah!! Cousin Abby likes to help out too...especially with desserts :)

Its also a great way for them to work on reading, fractions and following directions while having FUN!

Continue having FUN in the kitchen:)