Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sangria


I got together with a group of fabulous ladies on Monday night, and I was in charge of bringing the Sangria. I have made Sangria one other time, convinced I could just throw some things together and it would be great, but it was unmemorable. This time I decided to go with a recipe, and it turned out great! Super yummy. I thought it was actually even better the next night. So if you are patient enough, I would make it one night, and serve it the next. It's definitely all about letting it sit though, so don't skimp on the 8 hours the recipe recommends. This could be one less thing to do some night when you are entertaining, as the drink would be ready! Sangria is such a nice drink once the weather gets warm. I've been told Red Sangria is technically a winter drink, and white a summer one, but I've never found anything to confirm this. I am partial to red wine, so I went for a red recipe. I'm going to keep this one as my favorite.


Sangria

Cooking Light, August 2001


Yield
6 servings

Ingredients
3 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons white rum
3 tablespoons Cointreau (orange-flavored liqueur)
3 tablespoons brandy
6 orange slices
6 lemon slices
1 peach, cut into 6 wedges
1 cinnamon stick
1 (750-milliliter) bottle Rioja or other fruity red wine (such as Beaujolais or Zinfandel)
1 cup sparkling water, chilled

Preparation
Combine all the ingredients except sparkling water in a large pitcher. Chill for 8 hours. Stir in water immediately before serving.


Nutritional Information
Calories:189 (0.0% from fat)Fat: 0.0g (sat 0.0g,mono 0.0g,poly 0.0g) Protein: 0.6g Carbohydrate: 15.8g Fiber: 1g Cholesterol: 0.0mg Iron: 0.6mg Sodium: 7mg Calcium: 25mg

1 comment:

All My Monkeys said...

I think you're right about the hogwash of red being for winter. Sangria is for ANYTIME!!! However it suits your fancy. And I had red sangria at a cafe in Spain during the summer. And SO true about letting it sit. Even unrefridgerated. So yummy. I want to make this but who to drink with???