Saturday, May 2, 2009

Rainy Day = Blueberry Pie







We had a day where we had a fun outdoor adventure planned, and then woke up to clouds and rain. We had a fun play date in the morning, but I was itching for something to do in the afternoon. Sometimes when we have enough leftovers for another meal, and I feel like cooking, that's when I like to make a dessert. I have the time, and dinner's already done, and it gives everyone something to look forward to after leftovers.

I have been seeing lots of pictures of fruit pies, crisps, and cobblers lately with the spring weather here, and everyone it seems is getting excited about all the fruit summer will bring. I know I am! I checked out a book from the library called Williams-Sonoma Family Meals: Creating Traditions in the Kitchen and it has a beautiful picture in it of Blueberry Pie.

Now I have to admit, blueberry pie is one of those pies that I have skipped over in the past. It's just not that glamorous, and it's not flashy. It doesn't spark any childhood memories, and it doesn't seem all that romantic. However, I kept flipping back to this page, and decided to give it a try. I'm so glad that I did!
Elijah came wondering into the kitchen and was interested in helping out so I enlisted him to do a few things, and then decided to stand behind him, and direct him, but let him try to make it. I figured we weren't bringing it anywhere, and it was just us enjoying it, so it didn't have to be perfect. I already had all the ingredients in the house, so if it didn't turn out, we weren't out anything. He did such a fabulous job! We even did a lattice top together, which I actually have never done before, and it was actually simple. I was so proud of him, and he really loved that my first time ever having Blueberry Pie was with HIM. :) Made by him. What a guy!
If you have ever had Blueberry Pie before and didn't like it, I would encourage you to give it a second chance. This is not like the too sweet, too mushy pies with a white gummy crust that they sell in your grocery bakery. Those are not fit for consumption! Pies I believe are easy enough for anyone. Grab someone in you life that knows how to make a crust, and enjoy an excuse to spend some time in the kitchen with them learning how. (I am forever grateful to you Taya!:) Once you know how, pies are a cinch, plus you'll be able to enter the world of quiches too! If that's not an option to you, don't feel bad buying some already made crust. This is such a treat, either way you'll enjoy it!
Blueberry Pie

double Pie dough recipe (I used my favorite, not the one in the book, see below)
4 cups fresh or frozen bluberries (1 lb)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1 Tablespoon
3 Tablespoons all-purpose plain flour
pinch of kosher salt
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small chunks
2 tablespoons whole milk
serve with Vanilla Ice cream or whipped cream
Makes one 9-inch Pie

On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry into a 12-inch round about 1/8 inch thick. Loosely roll the pastry around the rolling pin, center it over a 9-inch pan, then unroll and fit it into the dish, pressing it against the bottom and sides. Trim the overhang to about 1 inch.
In a bowl, toss together the blueberries, lemon juice, and vanilla. Add the 1/2 cup sugar, the flour, and the salt, and toss again to coat the berries evenly. Pour the blueberries into the pie shell, and dot the filling with the butter.
To make the lattice top, roll out the dough into a round the same size as the bottom crust, and cut into strips 1/2 inch wide. Place the longest strip across the center of the pie, and place about half of the shorter strips on either side, spacing them evenly, 1/4 - inch apart. Rotate the pie 90 degrees. Place the remaining strips perpendicular to the first layer of dough strips, spacing them evenly. Trim any long strips even with the bottom crust, then fold the bottom crust over the ends of the strips and crimp with your fingers or fork tines. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Note: Don't feel like you have to do all of this just so. We just ignored this, and cut strips and layered them over the top. No big deal. Homemade pies rarely are perfect, and they taste amazing either way, so just relax!:) (P.S. We didn't refrigerate due to bedtime nearing, and it turned out just fine)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Brush the top crust with the milk and sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until the fruit is bubbling and the crust is golden, 50-60 minutes. Let cool on a rack. (Note: I find with the altitude, I have to cover the entire pie with foil partway through, to avoid it burning before the pie cooks through)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Whole Wheat Crust
makes 1 crust
6 tbsp butter (prefer lightly salted, and cold, in this recipe)
1 heaping cup Whole Wheat pastry flour
2 or 3 tbsp ice-cold water
some white flour for rolling it out

Blend butter and flour well with a pastry blender (or two butter knives)....till it's the consistency of small peas. Add water - a little at a time - until it all sticks together. Roll out in white flour.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Looks good! Great job Elijah :) I have never made a blueberry pie. I did manage to make a pecan pie when Gary and Suze brought Vickie here.

It also has been rainy here for the past 5 days. I'm ready for a break...even though the trees and garden are loving it! We have lettuce coming everywhere!!