Sunday, November 8, 2009

Caribbean Chicken

I recently went through my recipe cupboard (I know) and organized, sorted, and filed. It's a hard process for me, sort of like sorting pictures for someone else. :) I get attached to recipes, or the IDEA of making them, and it's hard to let them go. Alas, I am also a minimalist, and these two things don't mesh well. So about once every year I end up sorting through them, usually when I'm starting to get excited about planning for the holidays as I am now.

So I came across countless random scraps of recipes torn out of newspapers and magazines. Some I had to toss, some I pulled out to try so I could decide if they were worth keeping. Sometimes I tear out a recipe, and don't end up using it for years.

Such is the case with this Carribean Chicken recipe. No credits, no pictures, just a scrap of newspaper, so I'm not sure who to give credit to. Strangely, I expected my kids to love this, and they just didn't. Rob and I thought it was good, but I'm not sure if it's KEEP it kind of good if they weren't into it, and I'm not a big meat eater anyway.

The chicken is moist (I used organic). The individual packets are fun. The rice is fun and sweet. The hot sauce is so subtle, you don't have to worry about the kids not liking it for that reason. (I actually left it off theirs, but wouldn't if I made it again). I put brown rice in the rice cooker in the afternoon so it was ready when I was making dinner.

Carribean Chicken

4 sheets (12"X18" inches each) heavy duty aluminum foil
4 cups cooked rice
1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1/4 cup flaked coconut
1 (15 oz) can pineapple tidbits in pineapple juice, undrained
2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon caribbean jerk seasoning (see note below to make your own)
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

Preheat oven to 450 degrees or preheat charcoal grill. Spray sheets of foil with nonstick cooking spray. Combine rice, red pepper, onions, coconut, pineapple, brown sugar and lime juice. Center 1/4 of rice mixture (I put more, to use it all) Rub jerk seasoning over chicken; place on top of ingredients on foil sheet.

Bring up sides of foil and double fold. Double fold ends to form a packet, leaving room for heat circulation inside packet.

Repeat to make four packets. Bake 18 to 22 minutes on a cookie sheet in oven or grill 16 to 20 minutes in covered grill. Makes 4 servings.

Note: You can buy Cariibean Jerk seasoning in the spice section of supermarkets. I just made my own. Combine 1 teaspoon allspice, 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, 1/2 teaspoon paprika, 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce and 2 teaspoons vegetable oil in a small bowl; mix well.

No comments: