Sunday, November 29, 2009

Turkey Tettrazini




More turkey leftovers! As I said in my previous post, this is the first year I've even had leftovers to do anything with. So I have to confess a mistake I made. I did that thing you are never supposed to do....I skimmed this recipe, and didn't really read it that thoroughly. Mostly when I skim, I'm looking to see if there is some appliance or gadget I might not have, or if the prep time is misleading and it's really one of those recipes that takes a whole afternoon. Never did I suspect that this recipe is actually already doubled, for you to freeze one and serve one. I thought I was being so smart, and decided I was going to double the recipe. Well, I ended up with 4 Turkey Tettrazzinis, a house full of giggles calling it the "Quadzzini incident", but thankfully no more turkey leftovers!! And hey, if you live in the neighborhood, I have 3 Turkey Tettrazzinis in the freezer if you need dinner some night. :)

I think you could very easily make this vegetarian. Just leave out the meat, and use veggie broth. I want to increase the mushrooms and peas in this recipe personally, especially for a vegetarian version. I'm going to try all of that next time I make it. I think will all the dairy it would still be very filling. yum!

Turkey Tettrazzini
Serves 8
*MAKES 2* (giggles from the fam....)

coarse salt and ground pepper
6 tablespoons butter
1 pound white mushrooms, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch think
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 cups milk
1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup white wine
3 cups grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (I used 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh)
1 pound linguine (I used whole wheat)
about 4 cups shredded turkey, or chicken (About 1 rotiserrie chicken)
1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed and drained ( I just put them in frozen, it worked)

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil (for pasta). In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over high heat. Add mushrooms, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, tossing frequently, until tender and browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and set aside.

2. Make sauce: In same saucepan, melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add flour; cook, whisking, about 1 minute. Whisking constantly, gradually add milk, broth, and wine. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer, and add 2 cups Parmesan and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.

3. Cook pasta 2 minutes less than package instructions for al dente; drain and return to pot. Add sauce, chicken, peas, and mushrooms. Toss well to combine. (I did this differently. I put the noddles in the pan, then the mushrooms over the top, then the sauce over the top of that. I just thought it gave it more color.) Divide between 2 (ahem) shallow 2 quart baking dishes; sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Freeze (see below) or bake until browned, about 30 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

To FREEZE
Cool pan to room temperature. Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and freeze for up to 3 months.

To Bake from FROZEN
Bake, covered with foil, at 400 degrees, until center is warm, about 2 hours. Uncover, and bake until top is browned, about 20 minutes more.

To Bake from THAWED
Thaw overnight in refrigerator. Bake, covered with foil at 400 degrees, until center is warm, about 30 minutes. Uncover, and bake until top is browned about 20 minutes more.

No comments: