Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Honey-Pecan and Pecorino Salad

Things are going pretty good with the thanksgiving prep. I made the nuts and vinaigrette yesterday for this salad. I also cooked a 20 pound turkey (wanting leftovers) so that it's ready for me to make the pot pie filling. I didn't get to the kale, due to a flat tire, and a doctors appt that took three times longer than it was going to. I also didn't get to the pie crust, but I feel like I made up for that by getting both of the pies made completely before 9am this morning. :)

Here is the recipe for the salad we will eat tomorrow.

Honey-Pecan and Pecorino Salad
Serves 8

ingredients

Honey Pecans
2 Tbs. honey
1 cup whole pecans
2 tsp. chili powder (I cut this in half, it just seemed like way too much to me)
1/2 tsp. salt

Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette
2 Tbs. vinegar
4 tsp. honey
2 tsp. mustard
2 Tbs. oil

Salad
8 cups mesclun salad mix
1 bunch green onions, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 oz. pecorino cheese

Directions
1. To make Honey Pecans: Bring honey to a simmer in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in pecans, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until pecans are coated in honey and most liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat; stir in chili powder and salt. Transfer pecans to plate to cool, then store in airtight container or set aside.

2. To make Honey-Mustard Vinaigrette: Whisk together vinegar, honey and mustard. Add oil; whisk to combine. Season with salt and pepper.

3. To make Salad: Toss mesclun, green onions, cranberries and pecans with vinaigrette. Shave cheese into curls over salad with vegetable peeler. Serve immediately.

No comments: